General FAQ

The general criteria for admission can be found here:

Bachelors, Masters and Certificate courses begin on the first of every month and run for ten weeks. Course starts are every month with the exception of the doctorate where courses start quarterly: January, April, July, and October.

  • Next course start date: September 1st, 2020
  • Next doctorate start date: October 1st, 2020

If you take 2 classes per 10 week term or 8 classes per year, it will enable you to earn your degree in about 2.5 years for the Bachelor’s, 1.75 years for the Master’s, or 3 years for the Doctorate, this includes one year for the completion of the dissertation. The average published completion time for the Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctorate programs are six, four and one-half and five years respectively.

Henley-Putnam University accepts the recommendations of the American Council on Education College Credit Recommendation Service as listed in The Guide to Educational Credit by Examination. These include Advanced Placement Examinations, College Level Examination Program General Examinations (CLEP), and DANTES Subject Standardized Tests.

Evaluation of experiential learning is also reviewed. Students may submit an assessment portfolio providing documentation of learning that has resulted from his or her life experience. Experiential learning is defined as those skills, competencies and knowledge that are gained through work, training, self-development, or volunteer experience. Credit for experiential learning can only be awarded for learning that is measurable and satisfies the objectives of the course in lieu of which the credit is awarded. Learning must likewise be the result of a mixture of practical and theoretical learning, as evaluated by University subject matter experts. No experiential learning credit will be accepted for the Master’s or Doctorate degree programs.

In addition, challenge exams may be requested. Students with experience in a particular area may have the option of challenging a particular course by taking a written and verbal exam. Students must have completed one quarter of course work to be eligible for challenge exams.

The University requires applicants to go through a background check and screening process for all programs/certificates. Active military and law enforcement applications can include a letter of good standing request to be completed in place of conducting the background check. Please contact your Admissions Advisor for questions about documentation.

An Admissions Advisor will help you successfully complete the admission package. Due to the nature of the educational material and our desire to assure you are entering into the appropriate program, your Admissions Advisor will guide you through the process and help you successfully complete the application process.

The enrollee is not considered officially a registered student until the University has processed the signed Enrollment Agreement and all admissions documentation has been submitted and accepted.
Click here for degree catalog to review policies

Being ready to return to school is important. You know that you need and want to earn this degree.
You want to have things lined up so that you will be successful. So ask yourself a few questions:

Can I schedule the time for classes? You can expect to spend 12-15 hours a week on each course, which includes reading, and assignments. You can schedule these hours according to your needs as long as assignments are submitted on time. We can help you with time management concerns. You have the option to take one course if that better fits your schedule.

Am I prepared academically? Let’s take a look at your prior college credits/experience and see what you have to do to earn your degree with H-PU. And keep in mind that we have online tutorials, as well as free tutoring if needed while you’re in the program.

How will this help my career? Completing a degree or earning an advanced degree is reported by our graduates as an important factor in their career progression. Are you already working in the industry? If not, we can connect you with a Mentor who will help by sharing their expertise, answering questions, and connecting you to their network of contacts.
If you are using military tuition benefits your Enrollment Advisor will help you look at your benefits to maximize them.

  • We have been rated a top military-friendly schools for a number of consecutive schools. We achieve that designation by providing services that address the unique needs of current and former military, and spouses.
  • We are 100% online so we fit your schedule. Our faculty and staff are available by phone or online. You can access courses 24/7 from anywhere you have internet access.
  • H-PU recognizes your military training and looks to maximize the possible credit awards toward your degree which helps you shorten time to degree completion and lower the cost.
  • We have experienced Enrollment Advisors who understand all the ins and outs of the various GiBills and who will help you maximize the use of your benefits so that you achieve the degree (s) you want to achieve.
  • We have implemented flexible leave policies designed to help our students who have unexpected schedule changes due to TDY’s and deployments.
  • Many of our faculty members, deans and staff are current or former/retired military so they know what you’re up against and work with you to help you achieve academic success.

H-PU can help you succeed in a number of ways.
You will have a full team supporting you throughout the program:

  • Our faculty and deans help you better understand the actual field of Strategic Security by sharing their real-world experience as well as the course content. And they are great networkers!
  • Advisors help you stay on track so that you progress through the program in a timely way and earn that degree.
  • The Virtual Student Center provides tips and techniques on all types of areas of concern to students, from time management to writing skills.
  • Our Program Advisors help you with academic and course issues including tutoring.
  • Our Faculty/Advisors/Mentors help you focus on career needs and networking.
  • Flexible scheduling and payment options help you stay on track.

Transferring Credits

All degree-seeking applicants must submit official college records. Previous academic work will be evaluated for possible credits to be applied to the degree programs at the University.

Allowable transfer credits are formally identified and documented. The official transfer credit evaluation is recorded and then filed with the student’s academic file. An official transcript must be received before final transfer work can be accepted and recorded. Course descriptions may also need to be provided if Admissions does not have the relevant catalog from the sending institution. The University will maintain a written record of the previous education and training of all students; that record will clearly indicate that credit has been granted. The student and other agencies such as the VA will be notified accordingly, if applicable.

Degree requirements are determined by combining the transfer credits allowed and the required academic work to be successfully completed at the University. Students can request a copy of the transfer evaluation.


  • A maximum of 50% of the credits required for a certificate may be awarded for transfer credit and experiential or equivalent credit including challenge/test out credits.
  • Transfer credits (if earned within the United States) may be accepted from institutions accredited by agencies recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and/or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.
  • International students from government recognized institutions or institutions listed in the International Handbook of Universities must submit original or certified transcripts, translated into English, showing courses completed, grades obtained, and length of program. A syllabus or course description in English covering each course being considered for transfer credit should be submitted with the transcript to Admissions. For Foreign Transcript evaluation procedures, contact the Admissions Department.
  • Transcripts and syllabi documentation are evaluated for a minimum GPA 2.0/4.0 grade equivalency for the bachelor’s degree programs and 3.0/4.0 for the master’s and doctoral degree programs and subject matter content to determine if transfer credits are accepted.

During the transfer credit evaluation process, academic work from other colleges and universities is compared to the School’s courses within the appropriate degree program, and transfer credits are awarded on the basis of similar curriculum and if necessary, comparison of syllabi. College and university courses completed elsewhere may be considered for transfer credits as electives even though the courses are not offered at the School. All transcripts received become School property and will not be copied or released to other institutions.

The transferability of credits you earn at Henley-Putnam is at the complete discretion of an institution to which you may seek to transfer. Acceptance of the degree or credits you earn in any Henley-Putnam Degree Program is also at the complete discretion of the institution to which you may seek to transfer. If the credits or degree that you earn at this institution are not accepted at the institution to which you seek to transfer, you may be required to repeat some or all of your coursework at that institution. For this reason you should make certain that your attendance at this institution will meet your educational goals. This may include contacting an institution to which you may seek to transfer after attending Henley-Putnam to determine if your credits or degree will transfer.

Program work taken at the School is an emerging technology and not automatically transferable to another institution. No representation is made whatsoever concerning the transferability of the School’s credits to any other institution. Acceptance of credits is controlled by the receiving institution.